Thursday, September 1, 2011

Baby x-rays

What started out as a slow paced craft day quickly turned into an all-nighter (well, morning if you consider that it was really 1am-6am) and then all day at the doctor.  Yesterday made day 7 of no poop for Walker.  We have been eating solids consistently for a couple of weeks now (2 oz at lunch and dinner).  He loves to eat, but I was starting to worry about where it was all going...Well bright and early, way too early, Walker woke up with gas.  He was wide awake and wanted to play.  Every few minutes he would strain like he wanted to poop, but nothing would happen.  At 3am, I finally broke down and gave him another suppository.  It worked for the night and gave him some relief to be able to sleep in his swing until morning.  We got in to see the doctor, not really because I thought he was super sick, but because I wanted to be educated on how I can keep this from continuing to happen.  The doctor was very supportive and said that we are doing the right things and to increase our juice to 1 oz a day.  He also ordered a stomach x-ray to make sure everything "is in the right place."  During the appointment he asked if we had ever been told of a heart murmur.  I said no (but then Marcus later reminded me that Walker had one in the hospital when he was born).  The doctor went ahead and ordered a chest x-ray since we were already getting one for the stomach and he thought he could hear a murmur. 

Walker and I then spent the afternoon waiting to get his x-rays.  We had good cuddle time and he loved watching all the other kids in the waiting rooms (all the other sick kids, yuck, germs).  Everything turned out fine on the x-rays, healthy heart and tummy.  The doctor said to add some miralax to Walker's juice to help keep things moving.  I hope this works because Walker is definitely into his solid food and did not like it yesterday when we missed his lunch. 

The whole experience really made me stop and realize how much my heart has grown because of Walker.  I feel like before him I was like the Grinch, but now my heart has swollen full of love for him.  I honestly didn't get that anxious about the x-rays yesterday because I trusted that things would be ok, but I still ached and hurt in my heart for my sick baby.  It is crazy the amount of feelings that I am aware of now.......I am sure some of them are hormones still from having a baby, but I think most of them are because I was given this great gift to love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment