Friday, March 18, 2011

Baby Walker has arrived

James "Walker" Necessary arrived 3/3/11 at 12:10 p.m.  He weighed 8lbs 6oz and was 20 inches long.  He is beautiful and happy.  It was love at first sight.


Birth Story:
Marcus and I decided, with the suggestion of my doctor, to have a c-section during my 39th week of pregnancy.  The factors that helped us with this choice were that Walker was measured at 7lbs 7oz in week 37 and healthy.  The baby was high up and not showing signs of dropping into position, along with no progression towards delivery in my body during the last week.  It appeared that Walker had missed his opportunity to fit into my pelvis to come out and was now too large to drop.  So...I did a little research and decided that a c-section would be fine.  Pros were that we would know exactly when he was going to be born and could tell family, less pain for me during the birth, and we wouldn't have to worry about getting induced and him not dropping after hours of labor.  Cons were a longer recovery time, pain after surgery, have to wait to see Walker until after post op. 

The night before (Wednesday 3/2) my parents offered to take me out to dinner for my "last meal" before surgery.  I had worked all day and didn't leave until 6:30, but still got to the restaurant before they did.  I was sitting at the table when my parents came in and behind them was my sister!  This was a huge surprise because she is living in New York and I was told that she wouldn't be able to make it.  After dinner, Marcus's mom arrived in town and the two of us went to Walmart to purchase a pink hat and a blue hat for the delivery so we could signal to the family the sex of the baby...we ended up finding full outfits and blankets in both boy and girl sets :)  I had a lot of trouble sleeping that night and was exhausted when I woke up the next morning. 


We had to be at the hospital and in pre-op by 7:30 for surgery at 9:00.  I had a massive headache and was incredibly thirsty (you can't eat or drink anything after midnight), not to mention stressed out...which made me a little grouchy.  The nurse hooked me up to IV fluids and got me ready for the c-section. 

What is it going to be?  Pink or blue?

Marcus saying a prayer for us before surgery
We were then notified that Dr. Seale's previous surgery had run into complications and that she was running late.  The family that was waiting were able to go to lunch and come back in time for the surgery. 

At 11:45 it was go time.  I felt so much better by this point from the IV fluids and the added time to rest and prepare.  I get ready for the actual surgery and Marcus joins me. 

We sit behind a blue curtain and before we know it we hear "It's a boy" and the beautiful sound of crying.  Marcus and I exchange a look of "oh my gosh, we did it, and he is healthy!"  Marcus goes over to the warming table with the baby and then brings him to me to see.  Then, they go to the nursery and to the waiting family. 

I am left in the operating room getting put back together and listening to the nurses and doctor discuss the previous night's American Idol.  Although I had watched the episode and had some strong opinions, I didn't comment because my mind was so stuck on the perfect image of my new baby and hearing those cries over and over in my head.  Then, I got wheeled to post-op and felt like I was there forever...but it was actually only 40 minutes.

Once in my room, I was able to hold and nurse Walker and visit with family.  We had many visitors and I was feeling really good (I am sure it had a lot to do with adrenaline).  The day was perfect.  Instincts and skills I never thought I would posses, slowly came and helped me to feel like a mother to this new baby.


We stayed in the hospital until Saturday afternoon and came home to a clean house and tons of food.  It was an incredible weekend and one that we will not forget!
My mom and sister were sent to Target to get "boy clothes"

5 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see baby Walker in the flesh. I am so happy for y'all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, he is adorable! Baby boys are great. So sweet and they love their mommas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mom is so proud of you! It is so cute to hear her talk about what a good mother you are and how much she loves to hold Walker. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm reading through all of this and I'm just so happy for you! I love that picture of your mom at the end. She is so fun. I'm so glad everything went so well. and That is so cool you had so much family there at the hospital there for you. When I had Ben (my 1st son) a lot of family was around to come to the hospital and I loved that. I had the same adrenaline feeling and I just wanted everyone to come see my perfect baby :). Anyways... congrats again :).

    ReplyDelete