Marcus and I have been so blessed. Walker has been a very sweet and content newborn. During his first week at home he slept often, and would even need to be woken up after 5 hours at night to eat. He allowed all the wonderful visitors to pass him around and cuddle with him. He is eating well, and I feel we are bonding quickly. Walker is so strong, lifting his head up the day he was born and moving his body with a lot of force. I knew that he was strong before he was born because I was able to feel his kicks...and they weren't always comfortable :) He is such an incredible baby!
Marcus and I were very fortunate to have someone stay with us every day until Walker was 2 weeks. The first week, Marcus's mom stayed and helped cook, clean, and help me figure this mom thing out. That Tuesday, Walker had his first doctor's visit. My mom and Marcus's mom also came. Walker weighed 7lbs 8oz and had gained half an inch. The doctor said he looked very healthy but did have a little jaundice. For some reason I was SO nervous at this appointment, I actually had sweat stains...This first week our daily routine was to eat every 2-3 hours, unless it was at night, which was every 4-5 hours. We then either have some awake and explore time or sleep time. I have become very into poop color and how many dirty diapers he has each day. Yes, I realize this sounds gross but when it is my only way to really tell how he is doing with breastfeeding, I am okay with it :)
| Headed to the doctor's |
Week 2, my mom stayed with us and helped me try to establish a routine and feel more in control of the day. My sweet friends Alexia and Cortney took me to dinner on Friday night for an hour so I could get back out in the real world, even for just a little bit. Our friends have been so great and have come to visit us often. This week, Walker returned to the doctor for his 2 week check up. He has passed his birth weight and now weighs 8lbs 15oz!! He is still 20 1/2 inches, so he is getting kinda chunky :) He would nurse all day if I let him. He is not sleeping as great as before, we go about 3 hour stretches between feedings at night. During the day we are still going 2-3 hours. We have started going on walks and getting a little bit of fresh air. He also spent some time in the sun this week to help get rid of his jaundice.
As we go into week 3, Walker continues to be a wonderful baby boy and is smiling and focusing more and more each day. However, he struggles some with gas and tummy troubles. We are trying to work together to help him find relief from these things until his digestive system matures. I have decided not to worry too much about a routine because of his fussy times. We are focusing more on getting passed this stage and just having all the cuddles and loves that he needs when he is not feeling well. I believe the routine will come later on it's own.
So far, being a mom has been incredible. I never could have imagined the amount of love that I would have for someone so quickly! I also have an incredible amount of worry and paranoia when he is not feeling well... He has completely changed our lives and we have embraced this change. He wins the heart of anyone he meets and I love spending my days with him. I am looking forward to what the future will bring.
I love your pictures Alexis! I'm so happy for you. I love the first few weeks after they are born. What a sweet baby.
ReplyDelete