Tuesday, August 7, 2012

16 and 17 month update

So,  I didn't even get your 16 month post up.  I kept meaning to blog, but would forget once I sat down for the day.  That is a sure sign of how much energy I spend on you all day :)  Let's see if I can remember how June and July went.

June - 15 months
You have a definite spunky little spirit.  It was easy to tell that you felt more independent this month.  You would walk into school all by yourself and get right to playing.  We spent most of our days together, but on Tuesdays and some Fridays you went to "school."  I don't take you until around 9:30 or 10:00 and when I tell you we are going to school you grab your back pack and say "bye, bye."  You love being around the other kids and all the new toys.  I had a few weeks this month where I wasn't feeling great.  We would come home from going to the library or somewhere in the morning and I would need to rest.  Turns out I was pregnant and in that first trimester funk.  Unfortunately, we spent more time than I would have liked watching tv and cuddling on the couch.  You bonded with Elmo and he is now your best friend. 

Highlights:
- second time to go to horses for healing event, and papa jeff won you a huge swing set in the auction
- bought your first cowboy hat
- took a bath in mom and dad's jacuzzi tub
- took a bath with cousin nora while Ashton was babysitting you
- went to the public pool and loved it
- threw your first fit when it was time to leave the pool

You use your signs and words so much now.  Your words are dada, more, please, uh-oh, melmo (elmo), bye-bye, elle (ella), and the occasional momma.  It is so clear that you understand much more than you can say, but we speak to you and read to you all the time to help build your vocabulary.

You love to wrestle and you like to play rough.

Running around the house in your towel after bath time is a nightly event

trying out cowboy hats

working on using your silverware

Horses for Healing

loving outside time with your "toys"

You needed another hair cut.  It grows so fast and so thick.

Telling me stories during snack time

nap time at your school

one of your favorite places to go is Grandma and Grandpa Walker's house.  They spoil you while we are there.

July - 16 months
It has still been super hot here, with many days over 100 degrees.  This has kept us from being outside much, which makes you mad sometimes because you love it outside.  However, your poor face gets bright red and you sweat like crazy after 5 minutes.  I learned the hard way that you can open all of the doors in our house, because one time when I was doing dishes I turned around and you were in the garage playing and had let ella out.  We now have to keep the doors locked so you don't escape. 

Your new obsession is to take a stick and hit a ball around the house.  Grandpa ("pa") taught you this one night when he was babysitting you and it has been all you have wanted to do ever since.  You find many objects that fit the "stick" category, including a cane from your great grandpa (my pawpaw), my wooden spoons, dad's golf clubs, and brooms.  Your favorite toys are balls, cars, motorcycles, and books.  You have started going to your room and playing by yourself a lot.  This is so cute for me to watch because you will "talk" to yourself and make up these cute games.  It also gives me time to try and clean up the other messes that you have made. 

Highlights:
- you had your first class party.  G-mama, daddy, and I all attended.  We were the only parents there until the very end.  You were so excited to show us your toys and your classroom that you didn't even eat all your food like the other kids.
- you have become an adventurous climber, which has given me many gray hairs
- you went to your first magic show...you were not impressed
- we took another trip to Cabot to see my grandpa
- aunt mila came into town and you got to spend a lot of time with her.  she can make you laugh really hard, but you make her work for your attention.
- your adopted grandma, my "other momma", Jetty passed away this month.

My belly is growing each day and I am worried how I am going to carry you in a couple of months.  We practice holding hands and walking places.  Sometimes it is successful, but sometimes you try to yank away from me.  One development this month has been your attitude.  It is cute, but exhausting.  Since you don't have many options to communicate, you raise you voice and whine when you are not getting what you want.  We work on calming down and trying again by signing "please."  You are usually very good at doing this and then we can move on. 

Your words now include "mommy."  I love it.  You say it all of the time and it melts my heart.  You also say "pa" for grandpa and "d" for g-mama.  You say ball, cheese ("eese"), and ice.  You will mimic EVERYTHING that we do, especially your dad, so we have to watch ourselves closely.  One of your favorite things to do is throw trash away.  You give yourself a little round of applause each time.  Too cute. 

One of our favorite games now is to read your book together.  I will ask you where things are and you will point to them (sometimes with your feet, which his funny).  I can also ask you to point to your nose, mouth, cheeks, ears, hair, toes, knees, eyes, shirt, belly, shorts, socks, shoes, and lots of other things that you know.  It would take me all night to try and list all of the words that you are aware of, even if you can't say them.  You are also learning your letters and love to point them out in the store or on the tv.  You are really good at B, O, Y, D, X, and sometimes A.

You have had a couple of days of teething this month, but really overall you can't really tell when you are cutting teeth.  The only thing you really do is randomly fuss at night and not eat as much.  Right now you have three top teeth and two bottom teeth. 

at our class party

When we shared the big news about you being a brother

you were flirting with a little girl

showing off and giving me a heart attack at the same time

your favorite place to sit, but I don't think you will be able to fit in a few more weeks.

where I often find you

or here, reading more books

it rained one day and you had a blast playing!  You kept asking for more and I didn't know how to explain to you that I can't make it rain more.

I let you ride in the big part of the cart and you thought it was the best thing ever

our more public baby announcement

playing peek-a-boo with me during dinner


Your personality is so sweet, curious, independent, and generous.  You love giving hugs and kisses and, trust me, I ask for them all the time :)  We are so incredibly blessed to be your parents.  My days are incredibly brightened when I get to spend time with you.  I can't wait to see how you continue to grow and change while turning into the man that God wants you to be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment