| New baby on the left and Walker's ultrasound pic on the right |
I am already 22+ weeks. Things have been the same this time around, only they happen much much earlier. I feel like I look 8 months pregnant because I got my Prego belly so much faster. I have had to invest more in maternity type clothes this time. With Walker, I don't think I had much of a belly until the 6 or 7th month. I am not complaining though, because it is kinda nice that people can tell I am pregnant. I have a visible excuse to sit down a lot or to be tired :)
The first trimester was pretty smooth. I had some nausea at the beginning, which is what prompted the pregnancy test, but after the progesterone supplements started that seemed to go away. However, I struggled with migraines. I had one that was 4 days long and ended up going to the ER to get fluids to re-hydrate me. The dr. put me on a vitamin regimen of Riboflavin and Magnesium, which worked wonders, and I haven't had a bad migraine since. I also ended up getting strep throat for the first time ever. This was kinda crazy because I was convinced it was something pregnancy related. I thought maybe I had pulled a muscle in my back holding walker which was why I was achy...or I had a UTI...or bladder infection that could explain the fever, but all the tests came back totally normal. Then, Marcus wondered about strep, and sure enough that was it. I felt so much by the second day of antibiotics.
The second trimester has been great. I eat all the time. I'm not exaggerating. I very rarely feel full. This is fun at the time, but then when I get weighed at the doctor...not so fun. Luckily, my doctor is not concerned and I did have a few pounds to make up for since I was underweight starting out. I gained 39lbs with Walker, so I am guessing I will be a little over that with this one...but hopefully not too much. I have some days where I feel tired, but overall I feel good and will work/play until my sciatic nerve starts to feel sore. Then, I usually go sit down and read or work on the computer.
I was pretty extreme last pregnancy with what I ate. However, this time I am a little more flexible. I partly blame this on the fact that I am at home or out and about around tempting things rather than in an office all day. I still stay away from caffeine, but have had more sweets with this one. Last time I had a Saturday Splurge Day, where I would allow myself a pack of skittles or something. This time, I probably have something sweet every day or every other day. I am also eating a lot of red meat, apples, and veggies...surely it all balances out right :)
The nursery is planned, but has not made much progress. This pregnancy was also a surprise (and huge blessing), but has caught us off guard space wise. We have way too much stuff to have two rooms devoted to babies. We are trying to figure out where to put our guestroom/office things...hopefully we know by February.
When we went for the 20 week ultrasound everything looked healthy. The baby is measuring about 6 days big and 15oz. It is looking like they are following in their brother's footsteps. The plan for right now is to do a scheduled c-section like we did with Walker. The date is going to be somewhere around Jan 30-Feb 4. And no, we don't know if the baby is a boy or girl...and yes, I know that drives you crazy and you can't understand how we do it...but honestly, it is so easy and so much fun. It means less fussing over details for me, less spending money on things that aren't necessities, and fewer expectations on what life will be like. I think the only challenging part is coming up with two names. It is also totally worth it when the whole family is at the hospital and gets to hear at once "it's a ____."
I am trying to think what else...I have not tried to explain to Walker the idea of a baby in mommy's belly. I think that for right now it is a little too abstract, but maybe as he gets a little older and we get a little closer. He still refers to himself as the baby.
Oh, I felt the baby at 16 weeks 3 days, and Marcus did at 17 weeks. This baby moves more consistently than Walker did, but not for as long periods of time. It also slept through the entire ultrasound, which was kind of a bummer because I wanted to see him/her in action.
As unexpected as this all has been, it has been wonderful and we can definitely see God's timing and hand in it all. Our prayers are for a healthy baby and that God would prepare us during this pregnancy to be ready to become a family of four.
Congratulations!!! I thought I saw you and Walker the other day at Wal-Mart when you were walking in the parking lot. I was on the phone at the time but wished I could have said hello. I hope you are doing well!
ReplyDelete