Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Surprise delivery

I had planned on doing a nursery post last week about the nursery since I just finished it, but baby had other plans :) Here is the story of our surprise delivery.

Last Friday, the 18th, I spent the day cuddling Walker and then getting ready for a girl's night party. I was excited to have an excuse to put on make up and fix my hair. I got home from the party around 10:45 and felt great. I had had a lot of fun hanging with the girls and having them feel the baby hiccup and kick. I even wore heels :)

At 2:00 in the morning I woke up and felt like I had wet the bed (I know that is gross, and that is exactly what I thought), but then I realized that I don't wet beds and started to freak out. I got up and confirmed, that yes, my water had broke, and continued to freak out. I woke Marcus up and told him that I thought my water broke. He grunted and fell back asleep...that's right he went back to sleep. I called the hospital to confirm that I should come in. I wasn't having any pain or contractions, but wanted to make sure I got there in time to do a c-section. They told me to come asap. So, continuing the freak out, I re-woke Marcus up, told him to pack our bags and get someone to come over for Walker and meet me at the hospital. He asked what he needed to pack, and in all seriousness I told him to "google it." Which he did :) I then, got in my car and drove to the ER part of Willow Creek...with a towel on the seat because water was still going everywhere.

Marcus got our neighbors to come over and watch Walker until my dad could get up there. My mom and Marcus came to the ER to be with me. At first they told me we would do the c-section right away so Marcus had his parents come to the ER too. However, 5 other women came in over the next two hours that also had broken their water (the doctor said that happens when there is a change in barometric pressure, but that 6 was a new record). All 5 of these women had their babies before me. At 8:00 the doctor finally came in to see me. By this time I had been in a private room for about an hour. He said that I was still at 0 and 0% effaced. I had been considering maybe trying a VBAC if I had progressed any, but Dr. Hix said that my body didn't seem to want to do that. A second c-section was fine with me.
Waiting in the ER

Top is from Walker's delivery. Bottom is from Will's. I love not knowing the sex of the baby.
Still in the ER...way too much adrenaline to sleep
We got prepped for the c-section and the family got ready in the waiting room. At 8:36 we heard "it's a boy" and the wonderful noise of baby cries. I had been pretty convinced we were having a boy the entire pregnancy but it is still amazing to hear those words. And it meant that we didn't have to come up with a girl's name because we still didn't have one. William Charles was 7lbs 15oz and 20.5 inches long. I can't imagine how big he would have been in 3 weeks when I would have been 40 weeks pregnant. I guess he realized he was out of room and wanted out :)




The name William is from my mom's dad, and Charles is my dad's dad. W.C. is my dad's step dad. If you include James (Marcus's dad's dad) Walker (Marcus's mom's dad), then we have all 5 great grandpa's covered with the names. I think that worked out pretty well. And, I also like Walker and Will together.

Here comes big brother, just in time

coloring break

meeting his family

seeing his brother for the first time. love at first sight.

He loved watching his brother

Family of four...thanks brenna and scott for the elmo. Walker sleeps with it every night now.
The rest of the day was spent with family and being a family of four. Walker was amazing from the beginning. You could tell he loved his brother. I was nervous about bonding with our second baby as well as I did with Walker, and while it was not the same, I still feel it was as strong. I'm not sure if that makes sense, and it is hard to describe. It is like the love for your first child is unlike anything else, and so is the new love for this baby. They are totally different but so strong and powerful. It's amazing how one doesn't replace the other or take priority. Each love has it's own special place.


I could stare at this face all day long

Papa Jeff and Jen
Paw
Cousin Claire
Tara and Alexis M.







Sleeping the first night

Marcus with Alexis M

Tara

Heather and Brenna


Ashton

Sandy

So happy when Walker came to visit! Hated when he had to leave.
Giving kisses to baby Will

"G"

Nahna

Grandma and Grandpa Necessary

Busy at work...people still need to buy a house even when you have a baby
Walker was in great hands with his grandparents while we were in the hospital. He had way too much fun and didn't want them to ever leave.


Walker's big brother present from Will



All I wanted was a cookie cake! I pretty much ate the whole thing :)

Family pic

Thanking Jesus for a healthy baby and healthy delivery

Coming home

First morning home. Holding Will and holding Walker's hand. Heaven!

Will has been such an easy newborn so far. He didn't cry when we were in the hospital. Even a couple of nurses said they would take him home because he just seemed laid back. Now, since I am a worry-wart, this freaked me out. I was used to Walker, who was awake, alert, and cried. Will slept. And one week later he still sleeps. I do get about 2 hours of awake time from him a day, but that is about it.

Be prepared to get plenty of blog updates (hopefully) so I can track the new changes in our family. I am excited to see what God has planned and so incredibly thankful for all that He has given us. I feel blessed to have been trusted with these two precious treasures.

3 comments:

  1. So sweet! I can't wait to meet that little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So excited to see more pictures of Will and Walker is so cute being a big brother. I hope to get to come meet Will soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Congratulations Alexis!!!! He is beautiful and that is so AWESOME how Walker is such a great, big brother!!!! Let me and my family know if you guys need anything.

    ReplyDelete